How to recoup money that was overcharged on property taxes?

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to recoup money that was overcharged on property taxes?

I found out that town assessor office wrongly calculated our property taxes for 12 years. In house data sheet it was wrongly stated “full basement”; our basement is just half “full” and half “crawl” space. Other error, our deck is 435 sq ft; their data shows 735 sq ft. I determined that the fair market value of the house is $146,000; they had  it valued at $186,000. I filed paperwork for an appeal. The assessor’s office immediately agreed with me and told me they will give me about $300 but they refused to pay me back any money for all those 12 years when they overcharged us.

Asked on October 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The way property tax assessments work for payment by the property owner is based upon a home's then current fair market value. Over the years a home's fair market value can be reassessed based upon market conditions where a home's value either increases or decreases based upon market conditions.

In order for you to be possibly entitled to a tax refund exceeding the $300.00 offered you, you need to demonstrate through written appraisals the property's appraised value on a specific date on each calendar year, for example June 1, 2011, June 1, 2010, June 1, 2009 and so forth.

You need to be aware that most states have statutes stating that property tax refunds can only deal with assessments under consideration that can only go back so many years in time such as one or two.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption