Property line dispute – adverse possession. Should this land now belong to me. Neither I or my neighbor knew property line was wrong.

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Property line dispute – adverse possession. Should this land now belong to me. Neither I or my neighbor knew property line was wrong.

My parents bought the place in 1970. I bought it from the estate when my father passed away in 2005. The property line has always been a certain fence. My neighbor had a survey done about 4-5 years ago and the property line is now closer to me. It was since my Dad passed. At that time he said nothing to me but his ex-wife did. She told me they thought it would be “grandfathered in” as my land. Last summer/fall my neighbor told me about the survey but stated that he was not going to do anything about it. Now he wants to use the land as a hay yard. He did not know the line was wrong.

Asked on July 4, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Montana


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this ara of the law.  This sounds like it is going to be a big fight.  One of the elements to adverse possession is that the person (your neighbor) was using the property openly and notoriously.  This means that the neighbor knew that he was not supposed to be using that part of the property and that you could have said something.  The fact that the line was in dispute as to where the line was complicates things becasue another element is that the neighbor must be using that area of the property continuously for at least 15 years.  if there is a dispute about where the line is, then there are issues about when the line changed and how long the neighbor was using the land he now claims.  I suggest that you see a lawyer as this is going to get messy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption