How best to handle property issues in a divorce?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How best to handle property issues in a divorce?

I am getting ready to file for divorce due to an unfaithful wife. I purchased my home 6 years before we got married. Right now there is no equity in the home and we have been married 13m years with an 18 year old son. Do you think I will get the house and she will have to move out? Also, I need a new car, should I purchase one before I file? Finally, should I wait for her to go back to work?

Asked on March 2, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you purchased your home six years before you got married, did you purchase it together? If so, then it was probably converted into marital property after marriage especially if the title changed to joint tenants with right of survivorship. Even if it wasn't, the argument could be that the property is or should be considered as marital property to be divided according to your state's divorce laws. If there is no equity in the home, does this mean you are underwater financially? If so, you may consider what you wish to do with the home before you decide to file. If your wish to file bankruptcy or have the home foreclosed on or a deed in lieu or both, then you need to consider that before you try to purchase a new car. The impact any job she has will be positive for you because you may not have to provide as much alimony.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption