How long must I hold onto my ex-girlfriend’s things?

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long must I hold onto my ex-girlfriend’s things?

My girlfriend and I split up over a year ago and she still won’t come and get her things. She said she wanted a letter stating she had 30 days to get her property out of my house. I did this. So after the 30th day, is it legal for me to dispose, sell, or keep her things? She stated that she would sue me if I did any of those things. Did I even need a 30 day notice letter in the first place since she and I never had a rental/lease agreement when she was living with me?

Asked on June 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You are in a sticky situation.  Doing something against her interest with her things could be considered "conversion" of her property and yes, she coyld sue you.  Although you had no written agreement about the living situation if the court finds her to be some form of tenant - month to month perhaps - then it could be considered a "bailment" situation.  You may want to consdier legally evicting her even at this late date.  Then the sheriff can come and remove her things.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption