Property Damage

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Property Damage

I was rear-ended by a pickup truck in Arizona on I 10 on March 13th, 2017. My car
was totaled. The driver’s insurance company, Geico, offered 60 of the vale of
my destroyed vehicle.

I was clearly not at fault. How do I file a claim against Geico? My car was valued
at 7200. I want the full value, not 60.

Asked on July 12, 2017 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since you are dissatisfied with the settlement offer from the at-fault party's insurance carrier, your only recourse is to sue the at-fault party for negligence.
You would not sue the insurance company.  Your lawsuit would be against the at-fault party.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the loss of your vehicle based on its value.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption