property Assets

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

property Assets

brought house with girlfriend. Breaking up. She lent me 32K to get it which I matched. I alone pay the mortgage its in my name and I alone pay ALL the taxes/fees. and furnishings. I also alone paid for all the repairs on the house. Now she wants the house only to give me my 32K back and nothing more.

Asked on October 5, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It doesn't matter what she "wants"--if you are a co-owner (on the title) with her, the house is half yours. You don't have to give your interest to her; you have as much right as she does to use, rent out, live in, etc. the house; and when its sold, you get 1/2 the proceeds. It is possible that the amount you each get will be modified somewhat up and down by what you contributed or paid for/on behalf of the house--if push comes to shove, and this ends up in court, the courts try to balance things to be fair--but fundamentally, subject to any such adjustments, you have as much right to the home as her and to the proceeds if/when it is sold.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption