Proof of Financial Guardianship

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Proof of Financial Guardianship

My 2 minor children were named as beneficiaries to my mother’s life insurance. She passed away in September. The Life Insurance company has asked for many things which I have provided but now want me to prove that I am the children’s financial guardians/conservators. My local courthouse has no idea what I’m talking about. I live in California. Is there a specific form? Do I have to have it filed with the court? Would it be in the county she died in or lived in or the one I live in? I am completely lost.

Asked on December 1, 2017 under Insurance Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Yes, it can be quite a jumping through hoops in these type of cases.  While you are the natural guardian of your children, you need to be appointed the legal guardian in order to accept the checks on their behalf. I am going to give you a link to the California Courts and their forms. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption