What to do if an insurer has filed a subrogation claim against me for damaging another car while parallel parking?

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if an insurer has filed a subrogation claim against me for damaging another car while parallel parking?

I was not aware of any damage that I caused and was not ever notified by the owner of that vehicle. I have asked for pictures that would support their claim, but the will not send me any copies. The claim is not huge $423 but I don’t feel good writing a check without ever seeing any evidence that I am at fault. What are my options?

Asked on January 27, 2014 under Accident Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can refuse to pay, in which case if they believe you owe them money, they may file a lawsuit against you. If they do, they will have to prove their case in court--not just that you caused the damage, but also the cost or extent of the damage. If they don't file a lawsuit against you, they can't make you pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption