previous property owner want me to sign paperwork removing my name of the deed/title

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

previous property owner want me to sign paperwork removing my name of the deed/title

I bought my home in 2013,with the agreement that the previous owner would retain 150 feet of the south side of the property with a 30 feet ingress and egress. He now wants to sell the property which is approximately 1.13 acres but needs me to sign my name off the deed/title which makes no sense to me.

Asked on August 3, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The land that he kept--is it on your deed or not? If it is on your deed, he cannot sell it on his own, since it is owned by you (even you had an agreement that he'd keep it). In this, if the land was not separated out on the deed at the time you bought it, you would need to quitclaim that portion of the land to him. A real estate attorney can help you do this: you should hire the attorney (to make sure he represents your interests) but first have a written agreement that the would-be seller will reimburse you for the legal fees (since it is being done for his benefit, not yours).
If the land he wants to sell was separted out from you land already, there does not appear to be any legitimate reason why he needs you to do anything.
In NO event should you sign or do anything removing your name from the deed for that portion of the property which you bought and which is yours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption