Previous employer has not returned my uniform deposit

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Previous employer has not returned my uniform deposit

I voluntarily resigned from a very large, nation wide private security company
Columbia, SC in August 2019. When I was hired in 2016 the company payroll
deducted 200 for uniform security deposit, which was to be refunded upon
termination of employment. I have returned all company uniforms and equipment in
good condition. I have made several calls and texts and am given the run
around. The company has thousands of employees and from what I have researched
online in forums, this appears to be a common practice….what are my options??

Asked on September 12, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The only way to get the deposit back would be sue them for it: that is how you force others to honor their obligations and pay what they should. If the location where you worked is in your county, suing in small claims court is a fast, cost efective option (if you win, you should get your filing fee back) IF you can afford to give up a workday for court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption