prescription reduction

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

prescription reduction

the doctors office reduced my inhaler from 3 canisters to one per month because
they have not seen me in over a year..can they do that?..I have been on this
medication for over 3 is a maintenance prescription.

Asked on December 19, 2018 under Malpractice Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can: the doctor is allowed to exercise his/her medical jugment in terms of setting, changing, or reducing prescriptions. There is no way to stop them from doing this before hand; IF as a result of it, you suffer a serious injury, impairment, etc. afterwards, you may be able to sue for malpractice, but you have to wait and see if you are harmed (and if so, how much--lesser amounts of harm are not worth the cost of a malpractrice lawsuit). But you can't substitute your judgment for the doctor's; if he/she thinks it is appropriate to reduce your prescription, they can do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption