Can a Power of Attorney sign a credit card application for their incarcerated spouse?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a Power of Attorney sign a credit card application for their incarcerated spouse?

My husband appointed me as his POA. He is incarcerated for another 2 years. We have been talking about my establishing his credit, via a credit card or vehicle purchase. I have the paperwork but am unsure where to go from here. Can I just fill out applications in his name (for credit cards)?

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Estate Planning, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I would hesitate to do what you intend to do for many reasons, although it may not be impermissible under the law.  But first I will answer your question: it depend on what the Power of Attorney document states.  Some Power of Attorney documents are for limited purposes and some are "for all lawful purposes."  When, if at any time, does it expire? If it is a general Power of Attorney and not limited you could conceivably open up an account in his name.  But I worry that if for some reason things go sour with your husband he decides that he did not want this, states that he told you your powers were revoked and that you did thins against his wishes thereby making you personally liable for what ever transpires.  THink twice.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption