Power of Attorney

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Power of Attorney

I bought a house for my daughter when she got divorced and couldn’t do so herself. She lived in another state and sent a POA for me to add her to the deed. That POA has never been revoked and I am asking if I can use it again to remove her from the deed so I can sell the house. Things aren’t working out since she moved in a boyfriend who is disrespecting me.

Asked on February 9, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot use a POA against the person who granted it to you. The person given power by the POA (the "agent" or "attorney in fact"--either term may be used) has a legal duty, called a "fiduciary duty" to act in the interest of the person giving them the power of attorney. Removing her from the deed through her POA would be a violation of that duty, could be reversed or undone, and could lead to her suing you for money as well.
If you are both on the deed, however, you can bring a type of legal action called an action "for partition" in which you get a court order that the house be sold and the proceeds (after paying the cost of sale and paying off any mortgages, liens, etc.) be divided among the owners. When the owners of real estate disagree about what to do, the law gives them the option of forcing a sale so they can go their separate ways. To explore this option, consult with an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption