pot possesion in mo

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

pot possesion in mo

i was pulled over today for speeding in missouri and the officer asked if i had any thing illegal, i told him i had a marijuana pipe, they then proceeded to search my vehicle, but did not find anything else. they then told me i could beat the charge if i gave them information on who i bought it from, the officer in missouri connected me with a detective in kansas, i was not issued any tickets. can they do this, and what are my rights in this situation?

Asked on June 2, 2009 under Criminal Law, Kansas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a Kansas attorney, and sometimes the detailed facts make a big difference.  But from what you've written, it looks like this to me:

If you were speeding, the police had the right to pull you over.  Why the officer asked you about having anything illegal might be interesting, but when you admitted have a marijuana pipe (which is illegal), you probably gave the officer good enough reason to search your car.

At that point, the police officer could have written you tickets for speeding and for the pipe.

The Missouri officer then offered to not issue those tickets, if you gave him information to help pursue other lawbreakers.  You took the deal, and it sounds like the police officer kept it.

If this doesn't sound good to you, please talk to an attorney in your area, who can give you reliable advice based on all of the facts of your case.  One place to find lawyers is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption