Police questioning

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Police questioning

I have been told that my licence plates were seen in the area of a crime. The police want me to take time off of work to come in and talk with them so I can be “ruled out” as a witness/suspect. Do I have to go or can I refuse here in California??? Thanks in advance

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You should be very cautious in this situation.  First, remember that you are under no obligation to speak to the police, and you have a right to have legal counsel present if you do wish to speak with them.  While the police may indeed want to "rule you out" as a witness, it is also very possible that they are hoping that you will say something that will incriminate yourself, so as to give them probable cause to arrest you.  Many criminal defense attorneys will allow you to retain them for the purposes of an investigation only.  I highly recommend that you consult with a criminal defense attorney for this purpose.  Although retaining an attorney for an investigation may cost you some money, it is a wise investment considering the potential consequences if you decide to handle the investigation on your own and end up incriminating yourself and getting arrested and prosecuted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption