What am I supposed to do if the police and insurance company are contacting me about an accident that I allegedly had over6 months ago?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What am I supposed to do if the police and insurance company are contacting me about an accident that I allegedly had over6 months ago?

I don’t recall having an accident but someone is making a claim against my insurance company and I also received a phone call from the police department requesting information regarding an “accident”.

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Accident Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What you should do is retain an attorney--immediately. Legally, of course, you are not liable for an accident you were not involved in; but you may have a hard time proving that factually if someone is claiming that you were involved and has particulars (e.g. make, model, and color of car; license plate number; a detailed--and therefore realistic seeming discription of the accident; etc.) to back the story up. Let an attorney help you exticate yourself from this situation. Don't talk to anyone yourself; let your lawyer speak for you (remember:  you have an aboslute right to not speak to the police, under the Constitution; the right to silence, as its often called). Further, if you can identify who is doing this to you, your lawyer can help you take action against him or her--e.g. sue the person; press charges; etc. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption