How des an executrix legally transfer firearms to the beneficiaryof athe Will?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How des an executrix legally transfer firearms to the beneficiaryof athe Will?

I am the executrix of my father’s estate. He left all of his assets to a female companion that he resided with. There are handguns, shotguns and rifles that are registered in my father’s name. Since she has inherited these items, what must I do within the state laws to transfer ownership of these firearms to her?

Asked on August 31, 2011 Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I would be very careful on this issue and I would indeed consult with an attorney there before you make any transfer.  In certain state - like New York - you can not transfer firearms.  In Pennsylvania, however, all transfers of handguns are required to go through the Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) and as such the Pennsylvania State Police keep a "Sales Database" of all handguns purchased within the Commonwealth. Although this is not technically a sale I would consult with the state police anyway.  Plus, you do need a license to carry a concealed weapon or carry a weapon in a motor vehicle in PA.  So the handgun issue has me concerned. Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption