What to do if none of the telephone outlets work in my rental and my landlord refuses to fix them?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if none of the telephone outlets work in my rental and my landlord refuses to fix them?

None of the phone outlets in my home work. The phone company said that the problem may most likely be the wiring of the house and to contact the landlord. The rental agency/landlord refuses to fix them. Is that allowed? I have a cordless phone but I can’t set up a regular phone at the home.

Asked on January 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the telephone company states that the problem with the land line is the rental that you have and the rental agency and landlord refuse to have the wiring looked at, you need to do the following:

1. write the landlord and the property manager about the problem you are experiencing with the telephone outlets requesting a response within so many days of your letter and if not, you will have some one come out and do the repairs. Keep a copy of the letter for future need.

2. if you do not receive a response to your letter with some clarification of the problem, retain some repair person to come to the property to repair the telephone lines and have the bill sent to the landlord and property manager.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption