What to do if a pharmacy gave my prescription, name, and address to a stranger?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a pharmacy gave my prescription, name, and address to a stranger?

Can I sue them for negligence or privacy violation. My concern is that today we are seeing more and more crimes over prescription medication. My prescription is a controlled substance and my concern is that now a total stranger knows what medication I have and where I live. I have children that I worry about and this person could have seen them with me as I dropped off the prescription and then shopped for groceries. They announced my name over the loud speaker and then gave it to someone without ID. Can I file a lawsuit against them?

Asked on July 14, 2012 under Malpractice Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

What you have written about is an internal issue with the pharmacy that you go to and its failure to pay attention to detail resulting the problem that you have written about.

You should have a face to face meeting with the owner of the pharmacy to express your concerns over what transpired in order to prevent the problem from arising again.

One option is to make a complaint with the entity that oversees on a statewide basis the regulations of licensed pharmacies in your state.

Filing a lawsuit based upon the facts that you have written would cost more money than any monetary return that I see for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption