Personnel file

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Personnel file

I’m in Michigan.

I requested to see my personnel file. My supervisor contacted HR, who only
found one document in the electronic file something I signed when I took over
my computer and monitor. They said they don’t keep anything else.

I’m sure that there are records of my reviews the most recent are available to
me in the regular company site, but the older ones are not, awards,
disciplinary actions I’m trying to find out if there is any written actions,
as they have been rather vague when they discussed issues with me, etc.

I anticipate my manager has a file of her own, but I don’t know if that would
be considered an official ‘personnel file’, so I don’t know what she feels she
can provide for me.

What should my next step be if they claim to not have any other information for

Asked on January 11, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can't take any steps to get the file or have any rights to it, unless you end up in litigation (e.g. suing or being sued by your employer) and the file (if it exists) may be relevant to the case. In a lawsuit, there are legal mechanisms or procedures to see or get copies of any file. Otherwise, the file may be about you but it belongs to them--it is their file, their documentation. You have no more right to it than they have to see any emails or text messages you sent to friends about your job, or any notes you personally keep about your work or employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption