What to do about my soon-to-be ex-wife’s personal property?

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about my soon-to-be ex-wife’s personal property?

I have been separated for 9 months, the divorce papers have been signed, and are in process. So I put her things in a storage and have been paying on them for 9 months. Do I have the right to tell her that I will not pay for the storage anymore, when the storage is not in the divorce decree? However, the storage has everything she said she wanted and she said she would get them out over 5 months ago.

Asked on August 9, 2012 under Family Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I would write your soon to be former spouse a note stating that you have placed her belongings in storage and give the name, address and telephone number of the facility and send it regular mail and certified mail, return receipt requested.

State that from a certain date onward, for example thirty (30) days out that you will cease making payments on the storage facility for her in that it will be her responsibility.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption