Risperdal Side Effects in Youth and Adult Males
Get Legal Help Today
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Nov 4, 2013
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.
We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.
Lawsuits against Johnson & Johnson for unlawfully marketing its anti-psychotic drug, Risperdal highlight a number of serious side effects associated with the drug. Risperdal side effects in youth and adult males have produced serious physical and emotional injuries that patients and doctors could not have foreseen. If you or a loved one has suffered any of the Risperdal side effects discussed in this article, contact an experienced personal injury attorney for a case consultation.
Risperdal Side Effects
The physical side effects of Risperdal use among youth and adult males include gynecomastia and galactorrhea, two serious ailments that affect male breast growth.
- Gynecomastia is the growth or swelling of male breasts. Varying in severity, gynecomastia can result in surgery to reduce the size of the breasts. Risperdal has been linked to gynecomastia in youth and adult males.
- Galactorrhea is the leakage of milk from the breasts. Although less common, reports of galactorrhea after Risperdal use has been by youth and adult males who took the drug unaware of the risks.
As a result of the physical side effects of Risperdal, young men have reported severe emotional trauma. The growth of breasts in youth and adult males lead to mental health problems including shame, humiliation, and self-hatred. With the male breast side effects occurring in pre-teen and teenage young men, the psychological effects of Risperdal use can result in lasting emotional scars due to taunting by peers and inability to engage in normal activities.
Risperdal Lawsuits Lead to Damages
The physical and emotional side effects of Risperdal use among young men have led to several lawsuits against the drug’s manufacturer, Johnson & Johnson. Plaintiffs allege a Johnson & Johnson committed a number of violations of FDA regulations by falsely downplaying the risks of Risperdal use and promoting the drug to doctors and consumers who were unaware of the side effects. Among other allegations, plaintiffs argue that Johnson & Johnson and its subsidiaries:
- Manipulated clinical trials to produce favorable results
- Failed to accurately report on the negative side effects of Risperdal
- Hired medical writers and research scientists to attach their name to studies and reports written by Johnson & Johnson that promoted the use of Risperdal
- Presented false and misleading studies that downplay the risks of Risperdal
- Failed to notify the FDA of the negative side effects of Risperdal
- Provided false advertisement to consumers and doctors that promoted Risperdal without detailing the risks
- Paid large sums of money to respected opinion leaders to tout the use of Risperdal for a variety of disorders
- Granted research awards to doctors who prescribed use of Risperdal
- Distributed promotional materials that were false, misleading, or lacking sufficient information about Risperdal side effects.
Attorneys across the country have filed lawsuits against Johnson & Johnson seeking damages for plaintiffs who were mislead about the side effects of Risperdal. Recently, a Risperdal case in Pennsylvania settled before trial, and a reported 130 or more cases across the country have had similar resolution.
Damages in Risperdal Lawsuits
Plaintiffs in each case are young men or boys who have developed male breasts as a result of Risperdal use, and have suffered both physical and emotional trauma. Although the details of settlements are unclear, plaintiffs are recovering damages for not only their medical bills, but for pain and suffering damages to compensate emotional distress. While each case varies, Risperdal lawsuits can provide plaintiffs compensation for a variety of damages that fully compensate physical and emotional pain caused by use of the drug.
If you or a loved one has suffered as a result of Risperdal use, click here for a FREE consultation with an experienced attorney today.