permitting unauthorised person to drive

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

permitting unauthorised person to drive

officer charged me with for allowing some one to drive my vehicle, I said I did not allow him to drive,if I would plead not guilty, could be the other person be charged? even though the citation was all ready issued?from PA.thank you

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I presume that you were not in the vehicle when the police stopped the person.  Therefore, you should get the person driving to admit that they took the car without your permission.  If this is what the person who took your car will say, then you should be able to avoid the charge.  I suggest that you obtain a lawyer to help you with this and explain to the state's attorney that you are not the one at fault.  While you may not want to spend the money, you need to have a lawyer involved here.  If you want to go at this yourself, you may want to have the person driving the car come with you to court to fess up if they will do that for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption