If my employer is changing payroll policy so we are not getting paid for a week but we were only given 3 day notice, s that legal?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my employer is changing payroll policy so we are not getting paid for a week but we were only given 3 day notice, s that legal?

Many of us live week to week.

Asked on February 7, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal. The employer has the right to change payroll policy and the timing of payroll, and the changes are effective from the moment you got notice forward, even if that notice was short. 
Also, there is nothing you can do about this in any event: your only option would be try to file a complaint with the department of labor or file a lawsuit for the money; however, if it had been the case that the employer couldn't do this, the next payroll will come around and you will have the money, rendering your complaint or lawsuit moot (no reason to proceed with it, since you will have been paid), long before the complaint or lawsuit could be heard. When there is just a relatively short delay in payment, there is no useful action you can take.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption