Payment of an invoice after 4 years

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Payment of an invoice after 4 years

I received an invoice from an accountant we used for a couple of years. We started using another accountant over 4 years ago and we paid the final invoice for services used up to that time. We now just got an invoice for supposed services over 4 years ago after we were done with this accountant 1,485. We also got another bill for printing a check?, it that is 6 years old 87.89. Do I have to pay this invoice?

Asked on October 3, 2016 under Business Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you have to pay. Unfortunately for you, the relevant "statute of limitations," or time within which to take legal action, to enforce a debt like this is 6 years in your state. (It is the statutory period for a "contract," since it arises from the agreement to do work--accounting--in exchange for compensation.) Therefore, if the invoice is 4 years old, they still have 2 more yeas to enforce it: that is, if you don't pay, they are still well within time to sue you for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption