What to do if a payment for a traffic ticket wasn’t recieved by the court?

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a payment for a traffic ticket wasn’t recieved by the court?

In early 2008, I was pulled over for speeding in AR. I sent off a money order to pay the ticket. Approximately 2 months ago I found out that I have a suspended license and a warrant for my arrest fom AR for the ticket I received. When I called, they said that they never received payment. I was never notified that they hadn’t received payment. Now they’re requiring me to go to AR to appear before the judge. Because of the suspension on my license I can’t drive my car from NM to to fix this problem. What should I do?

Asked on January 28, 2011 under General Practice, New Mexico


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You need to hire an attorney to appear for you in traffic court.  Plain and simple.  If you can not go yourself you need someone authorized to speak on your behalf, and someone who knows the law is your best bet.  Do you have proof that you paid the ticket? A cancelled check or a money order? Probably not at this late date?  Then you are going to have to clear the matter up and do what ever it takes to have your license reinstated.  Otherwise you could end up losing it.  Do not delay on this matter.  At the very least call and speak with an attorney to see what your options are here.  If you do not know any attorneys then call the local Bar Association and ask for a referral.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption