Is there a way to pay off a judgement through a third party and not directly to the creditor?

UPDATED: May 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a way to pay off a judgement through a third party and not directly to the creditor?

My husband had an eviction judgement 6 years ago. He paid what the landlord and courts agreed on. Apparently it did not satisfy the landlord as there is still an open judgement for $350 on my husband’s credit record. He doesn’t trust just paying the landlord due to what happened with his last settlement. It’s effecting us getting approved for a rental.

Asked on May 26, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your husband paid what was ordered of him, that is it. The landlord cannot require him to pay more. Your husband needs to do the following: contact all four credit reporting agencies (Trans Union, Equifax, Experian and Innovis), send them a written letter with your husband's signature indicating you wish to dispute that record. You will include a copy of the judgment and copies of the cancelled checks (front and back) and ask the record be deleted. You will need to wait a bit for the dispute to be investigated but this should do the trick. If the landlord is still trying to collect, you can actually take the landlord to court for breach of the order or being in contempt or even extortion if the landlord has said anything threatening to your husband regarding that amount.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption