What to do about a wrongful denial of a passport?

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a wrongful denial of a passport?

My state will not remove my name from the passport denial list for child support arrears, even though I am paying the arrears. This because they said my ex wife told them not to. Can she legally stop me from getting my passport renewed?

Asked on October 8, 2011 under Family Law, Delaware


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Passport denial is not that easy. You must be on a list developed by the state; it's true she may have reported the arrears, but she cannot be the authority to deny you your passport. This is in place so the authorities have more assurances you won't cross borders and ignore your legal responsibilities here. The best thing to do and probably the only action you can take at this point is to pay up the arrears or significantly pay them and contact the prosecutor's office and see if it can get your name off of the passport denial list. You need to show compliance but that does not mean your name is automatically taken off. It simply means you get the chance to petition to be eligible for a passport.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption