If a waoman decides not to have a agreed upon abortion, is the father still financially liable?

UPDATED: May 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a waoman decides not to have a agreed upon abortion, is the father still financially liable?

Last year I had unprotected sex with a female who inform me she was going to have a abortion. However, early this year she telephoned me and informed me that she had a child, a boy, and that he was mine. We did a DNA test and he is in fact mine. However she is giving me the runaround about my seeing him. She and my son live in a different state than me and she doesn’t want him traveling back and fourth. With her deciding to go forward and have the child and not tell me anything unhe was 2 weeks old, is there any way that she becomes financially responsable?

Asked on May 25, 2012 under Family Law, California


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

With abortion is treated almost like other fundamental rights guaranteed by the Constitution, whether to have the baby is totally her decision. Since you are the biological father, you are responsible, unless you have an agreement or a court order to say otherwise. It sounds like a legitimate reason not to let the newborn travel back and forth. You may also need a court order for visitation and custody.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption