Parents are divorcing and want to sell everything.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Parents are divorcing and want to sell everything.

I’m 18 and my parents want to sell everything
from the land we own to the home we live in
even the dogs, do I have a say if I get to keep

Asked on July 2, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Only the persons who have an actual owernship interest have a say in what goes and what stays.  If there is a car that is titled to you, for example, then it's your's by title and someone else cannot sell what belongs to you.
If the land your parents own is titled in their name, then they alone have the legal right to decide how it will be disposed of.  If there is a third party (like an aunt or uncle) who is a co-owner, then that person would also have a say.
Parents probably should take into consideration what the kiddos and others want, but at the end of the day, it's a decision to be made by the adults who actually own the property.  If the adults cannot agree, then the decision will eventually be made by a judge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption