If I was late on car payments but made them, if car was repossessed anyway, is this illegal?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was late on car payments but made them, if car was repossessed anyway, is this illegal?

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not your vehicle that you were making installment payments was properly repossessed or not due to late payments by you depends upon what the written loan agreement that you have for the vehicle states. I suggest that you carefully read the loan agreement in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you by the lender and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

If a third party has possession of your vehicle, I suggest that you contact the lender as to where and how you can pick up the vehicle assuming the monthly payment is current. You may have to pay an additional towing and storage charge to get your vehicle back.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption