Should I be able to get paid for lunch meetings that I have to attend?

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I be able to get paid for lunch meetings that I have to attend?

I’m an hourly paid employee. Sometimes my office has lunch meetings that are mandatory but they say because they are providing lunch that it consists of our lunch hour and is therefore unpaid time.

Asked on June 22, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The laws on this issue vary from state to state and it is best that you call the Pennsylvania Department of Labor to ask them and double check but my h gut instianct is that what is happeneing is illegal under the employment laws. In Illinois, for example, hourly employees are entitled to an unpaid lunch break to do as they please while away from the job.  SO in this case you are in some ways restricted from leaving the work place.  I do not think that buying you lunch would be a factor under the law.  I would seek some guidance here and sepal with the DOL.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption