Paid a different wage.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Paid a different wage.

I’ve been working with this company for 2 months. I do not have a written contract but a co-worker was present when I discussed my wage with my manager. It was verbally agreed upon that I would make 15 an hour. It has been 4 pay periods and I just now got my first actual pay stub and it says I’m only making 14. I assumed that I was either getting the taxes taken out of my personal checks I was receiving. I’m planning on talking to my manager next time I go in but I was wondering what my rights were since the internet seems to be all over the place

on this type of situation.

Asked on February 8, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Only a written employment contract, not an oral (that is the correct term, not "verbal") discussion guarantees you a certain wage or salary. Without a written contract, since employment is "employment at will," the employer may set your wage at whatever he wants--that is, your pay is up to the employer. The employer may renege on an oral promise, since such are not binding.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption