Ownership of House in Texas

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ownership of House in Texas

My father has been diagnosed with dementia and is currently placed in hospice.

My mother, sister and I who all reside in the house, know of a will that was
written by him years ago leaving the property to my mother but was never filed
with the court and can’t be found at this moment.

We are trying to brace for the worst case scenario if we are unable to produce
the will after his passing.

My father had 3 children from his previous spouse before divorcing her and
remarrying my mother. My father owned the property prior to marrying my mother
and his ex-wife has been deceased for quite awhile.

With 3 children from his first marriage, 2 children from his second marriage
and a spouse left behind, what is to become of the property in Texas if a will
cannot be produced?

Asked on December 11, 2017 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If no will is found, then one half of the estate will pass to your mother and one-half will pass to the step-children (to be divided among the three step-kids).  However, when a house is also the marital homestead where the surviving spouse would have otherwise resided, then they can make an application with the probate courts to be granted what is called a "life estate" in the residence--- because of the status of the residence as a "homestead."  Basically, this means your mom gets exclusive use of the house until her passing and the other kids can't touch it until then.  When your mom passes, then you will get her 1/2 interest (or whatever she wills you) and the step-kids will get their 1/2 interest.
If you mom has not already homesteaded the house, she needs to do that before your dad passess.  This is done via the tax rolls.  Most likely she has already done this....it is usually only an issue when the spouses have more than one house.  
My main suggestion, however, is to look for the will. That will make the process easier and simpler.  More than likely, he had a law firm draft the will.  Most law firms will keep copies of the wills they execute in their office.  So, you may want to look back at old records, see if you can find that law firm, and then determine if they did, in fact, keep a copy.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption