Owner financing business with breach

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Owner financing business with breach

I entered a written agreement to sell a hair salon to a stylist. I don’t run it or work there. She hired another unlicensed stylist and allowed her to perform hair color and cuts which is illegal. She paid

this unlicensed stylist cash daily from company funds. She also unplugged surveillance and had massage tables in back with no licensed therapists. I told her shop was closed until everything legal and I took down my salon license and cut off electric. Can I keep electric off until she complies or leaves?

Asked on January 19, 2018 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You may NOT simply shut off electric: that is never allowed when someone is leasing space from you or has a license  to use your space. What you can do depends on: 
1) Who has title at present? If you have already transferred it to her, then even if she still owes you money, you have no control over what she does, and you cannot do anything.
2) If you still have title, what does any written agreement (e.g. a lease, a lease-to-own, a purchase, etc. agreement) say? You can enforce the terms of any agreement against her, but cannot require her to do things not in the agreement. So if there an agreement requiring her to comply with the law while occupying the space, you can enforce that agreement--e.g. terminate the agreement for her breach while seeking compensation from her; evict her for noncompliance by bringing a legal action; etc. But if there is no requirement in the agreement for her to obey the law, then you may not be able to force her to do so: when you lease space or enter into any other kind of commercial transaction, your rights and the other party's obligations are defined by the agreement, and you have no more or different rights than the agreement gives you.
A good idea would be to bring a copy of the agreement to an attoreny to review with you, to understand your rights and options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption