What can be done if our vehicle was struck by a city employe, driving a city-owned vehicle during off-work hours?

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done if our vehicle was struck by a city employe, driving a city-owned vehicle during off-work hours?

I had a relative in the car but thankfully there were no bodily injuries. Our vehicle was towed and has been in a body shop lot for several weeks. The city is self-insured and we’ve been told by their claims adjuster that they will not pay for towing (I had to come out-of-pocket), will not pay for a rental car and will not pay for the storage fees. They will not be sending anyone out to inspect the vehicle and it will likely be totaled. The city employee was issued the citation so there’s no question of fault. We only have liability on our end so our insurance company is not involved. Do we have any rights or options or do we just have to eat it?

Asked on March 14, 2015 under Accident Law, Colorado


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The coverage is what it is.  You can either take what they say your car was worth, or you can sue the city and this at-fault employee to attempt to collect additional amounts. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption