If ur tenants moved out at the end of last monthith with no notice, can we legally take possession of the house without the eviction process?

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If ur tenants moved out at the end of last monthith with no notice, can we legally take possession of the house without the eviction process?

We did not realize they moved out until about 3 weeks later. We changed the locks on the door then, not knowing that it was illegal,  so we changed 1 of the doors back. We posted a 7 day demand notice on the door (which has not been picked up). They also left us with a $600 water bill which they were responsible for. Can we take them to small claims court for the water bill and this month’s rent since they did not give notice?

Asked on December 26, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your former tenants moved out of the rental without giving you notice of their intent, I would send a letter to their last known mailing address other than the rental advising that you deem that they have abandoned the rental setting forth the reasons for the opinion (for example, no furniture in unit).

From what you have written, you can legally take possession of the unit. I would place all new locks on the rental.

As to the $600.00 water bill, your option is to sue the former tenants for this amount in small claims court. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption