Our square footage is off.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Our square footage is off.

We just found out that our property taxes are going up a ridiculous amount with the new evaluations. Our property is listed as being 1870 square feet. It is not. I have measured the exterior and, doubling it for the second floor, it is 1629 square feet. It seems the 1870 includes our basement, which I was led to believe is not proper. I pointed this out to our agent when we bought the house, and she said not to worry about it, it doesn’t matter. Now I see our taxes are calculated based on a square footage evaluation. We are going to appeal the new evaluation in any case, but I am curious how I go about checking and hopefully fixing the square footage mistake. I’d imagine the state requires a special inspector to measure it unless they just trust me, which would be amazing. I can’t find any information about this process online.

Asked on July 20, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you will need a report and testimony from a qualified person to show what your square footage is. A good choice would be a professional real estate appraiser, who does appraisals for realtors, banks (e.g. for loans or mortgages), and/or for attorneys (such as when there is a lawsuit over property and its value). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption