If our son was charged with federaldrug charges and fled to China, do we as parent have any repercussions if we go visit him?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If our son was charged with federaldrug charges and fled to China, do we as parent have any repercussions if we go visit him?

We don’t have any details other than we would like to go over and talk him into coming back and facing the charge. He has been there for just over a year and just got his visa renewed. He is 24 and before this had not been in any trouble. He was living in another state going to college and we were virtually blindsided by this. Our concern is we do not want to get in trouble ourselves by going over to visit him. China has no extradition rights with the USA as far as we know.

Asked on August 31, 2011 Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, if you go to a foreign country to visit your son who fled this country after being charged federally with a drug offense, there will be no criminal repercussions as to you when you return to the United States. However, most likely you may be questioned by law enforcement about your visit, who you saw and its purpose.

There is the possibility that the United States may seek to have China arrest your son and have him extradited back to this country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption