What to do if our son died with his girlfriend in car accident and they had a joint bank account?

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if our son died with his girlfriend in car accident and they had a joint bank account?

His mom was named beneficiary of bank account (my wife). Our son has 3 pre-teen sons living with ex-wife. He had no Will. Does the money in the bank account go threw probate? Does it get distributed by probate?

Asked on June 3, 2013 under Estate Planning, New Hampshire


Nathan Wagner / Law Office of Nathan Wagner

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The money in the bank account does not go through probate. It does not get distributed according to the intestacy laws (which are the probate laws that apply to decedents who do not have a will). It goes to your wife, because she is the beneficiary. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption