If our neighbor uses our driveway, can we stop the use?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If our neighbor uses our driveway, can we stop the use?

We purchased a home 19 years ago. The neighbor has a circular driveway that she has attached to ours. She uses it all the time to get in and out of her driveway and also her friends and work trucks if she is having something done. Can we stop her from using the driveway? I can’t find any easment agreements.

Asked on February 10, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Is your driveway the only possible access to her land? Or it just a convenience for her to connect to and use your driveway, but she could, if she chose, connect directly to the street?
If she has no other access (if her property is "landlocked"), if you deny her access to her property, she could most likely go to a court and get an "easement by prescription" (also sometimes called "easement by necessity") created, to allow her access. But that's only if she must transverse you land for access.
If she could access the road/street some other way and it's just convenient for her to use your driveway, she has NO right to do so without your permission. A good way to begin would be to first talk to her about this; then follow up with a letter stating that she cannot use your driveway (send the letter some way or ways you can prove delivery of it); then block the connection--e.g. put planters, flowerpots, a rail or fence, etc. across the connection (100% on your side of the property. If she still tries to access your driveway or moves the barrier, contact the police and file trespassing charges.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption