If our employee quit and left a lot of his personal stuff, what can I do to get his stuff out of our office?

UPDATED: Apr 14, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 14, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If our employee quit and left a lot of his personal stuff, what can I do to get his stuff out of our office?

He left furniture file cabinets, car seats, etc. I have asked him many times to remove his items but he refuses saying that he has no place to put them so we should store them for him. We never said we would.

Asked on April 14, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You are under no legal obligation to store his belongings for him, or even to ship them anywhere at your expense. The best way to handle this is to send him a letter, sent some way or ways you can prove delivery (e.g. certified mail; fed ex with tracking; etc.) giving him some short but reasonable time (e.g. 10 days from mailing) to take his items, and letting him know that at the end of that period, his items will be discarded (e.g. thrown out, donated, sold, etc.). Reiterate in the letter that you never agreed to store anything for him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption