What are our daughter’s rights if she suffered an adverse rection to a prescribed medication?

UPDATED: Apr 28, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 28, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are our daughter’s rights if she suffered an adverse rection to a prescribed medication?

She went to her life long doctor who is a pediatrician. She had a reaction to sulfa drugs as an infant breaking out in hives over her entire body. The doctor prescribed a medication that is a SULFA drug even though it is in her records; she had the same reaction as when she was an infant. We called the hospital ER. They contacted the doctor who calls us. The doctor goes into panic mode and tells us to bring her to her home to take a look at her.She calls in a prescription to Walgreens which is open 24 hours, for steroids and 3 other meds. We drive 75 miles round trip at 9:00 at night, getting home at 10:30. My daughter had a miserable night as well as my wife and I. She is 18, a full-time student and lives at home. Do we have grounds for a lawsuit?

Asked on April 28, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you and your daughter consult with a medical malpractice doctor to see if there is facts to warrant a medical malpractice action where thye treating physician fell below the standard of care in his or her community. The opinion of another physician will be needed as well. Based upon what you have written, your daughter's claim could be resolved in small claims court since her injuries do not seem that egregious.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption