If our 31 year old son died, how do we close his bank account?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If our 31 year old son died, how do we close his bank account?

No one else was listed on it but him.

Asked on April 10, 2013 under Estate Planning, Ohio


Elena Eckert

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Sorry for your loss.

In order to close your deceased son's bank account you will have to initiate the probate procedure.  Once the court appoints a personal representative of the estate, he or she will be able to handle the affairs of your deceased son.

If he did not have a will and was not married, then you, as his parents, will have to file a petition for probate with the superior court in a county where your son resided.  In a petition, you should ask to be appointed as the personal representative/administrator of the estate.  After the court grants your petition, you will have to obtain Letters of Administration from the court.  This is the document you will need to handle the estate of your deceased son, including closing his bank account.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption