What should we do if our 18 year old daughter was caught stealing a pair of pants at department store?

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should we do if our 18 year old daughter was caught stealing a pair of pants at department store?

This is her first and only misdemeanor charge. She has paid restitution to the department store, there are no further charges.However, the county in which the incident occurred is expecting her to attend a court date early next month. She has a new job in our county, is a first year college student, a good student and diligent worker. She is remorseful and would rather her present employer not know of this incident. Is this possible? What will the court expect from her? Can she keep this off her record? Can she do something to prepare for court date, letter of positive intent?

Asked on January 22, 2014 under Criminal Law, Florida


Stan Helinski / McKinley Law Group

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If she's trying to handle this without a lawyer, she's making a major mistake.  If she wasn't arrested, and this is a misdemeanor, she has a right to a clerk's hearing.  At a clerk's hearing, she should see if she can make a deal without it hitting her record. But this is something you would most certainly need a lawyer for if you wish it to be effective. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption