How doI go about getting a judgment for money owed to me?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI go about getting a judgment for money owed to me?

I signed for a friend’s ATV loan. She defalted, I reclaimed the unit, sold the unit, and eventually paid the entire loan off. I am suing her for entire cost, minus what it sold for, of course. I just filed the civil suit with local court. They were very hesitant about taking the filing since I wasn’t an attorney. The amount was too much for small claims, or I’d gone that route. I have letters to and from about the debt along with the copy of title showing she put the vehicle in her name. Other than initial filing for civil suit, what other forms are needed to have hearing and get judgement rendered. Hearing has not been set yet.

Asked on December 30, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am not so sure that you need additional "forms" so much as you need the proper proof, which you seem to have at least some of in the information given here.  You have filed the summons and complaint?  Had her properly served?  Filed the affidavit of service?  Has she answered?  If no then you can file a motion for default judgement after the time frame for answering has expired.  If yes, then you may be able to file for a preliminary conference and send out discovery demands.  This is not an easy thing to coach a person via the Internet and it may be a good idea for you to consult with an attorney on the matter.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption