Origin discrimination

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Origin discrimination

I am Canadian with a green card. I have
a manager who constantly says I wish
these fucking Canadians would leave. I
hope this ducking Canadian gets out. I
tried to take it to my general manager
he wouldn’t listen. Now I have taking
it to the human resources but I feel as
though they may do nothing. Where do
I go from here, can I sue on my status
of national orgin

Asked on December 7, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, what you describe is national origin based harassment or discrimination, and so is illegal. You could sue or else file a complaint with the federal EEOC or your state equal/civil rights agency, both of which enforce the anti-discrimination-in-employment laws. However, if there are just harassing oral comments and no negative job action (not passed over for a promtion; not given a worse shift; not paid less than a non-Canadian with the same qualifications doing the same job; etc.), it may not be worth taking action: the amount of compensation you can get is related to the damages or injuries or losses you suffer, and some harassing comments, by themselves, are not worth much economically.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption