If I got an open container-public drinking, will I have a criminal record?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got an open container-public drinking, will I have a criminal record?

I had an open container of alcohol in my car and now have to appear in court at the end of the month. The appearance ticket states “Open Container-Public Drinking.” When I appear in court, what should I do? I’m 22 and have a clean record.

Asked on September 5, 2011 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have been arrested for an open container in a public place the charge against you is a criminal offense which can result in a jail sentence as to you, a fine and a criminal record that will be public,

The result could have a negative effect upon you for work and school in the future. Given the situation that you are in, it would probably be a good idea for you to consult with a criminal defense attorney to possibly get you court probation where if successful, the charge would be dismissed.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption