Can unemployment benefits be stopped even though a former employer didn’t initially repond whenI filed my claim?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can unemployment benefits be stopped even though a former employer didn’t initially repond whenI filed my claim?

Granted unemployment due to company not responding. I was denied after 2 weeks of checks because company then submitted their version. I had to file an appeal 5 weeks into this.

Asked on January 13, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Yes...the fact that the company may not have submitted their information up front or initially does not submit information regarding your claim does not prevent them submitting the information later, or the unemployment office from acting on it when they get the information. If the stopping of benefits was improper--i.e. you should have kept collecting--the time they were stopped will be added on to the "back end"; you'll be able to collect for longer and should not actually lose anything, in terms of benefits received. If however you should never have received benefits (e.g. you resigned; or were fired "for cause") it may be the case  that the unemployment office will seek recovery of the amounts already paid to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption