once a federal trial is concluded, can you be remanded back to the state to answer for state charges?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

once a federal trial is concluded, can you be remanded back to the state to answer for state charges?

I have been following the cases of someone that burglarized my home. They committed multiple other burglaries in two states. He was picked up in another state and was in county jail awaiting trial when US Marshals came and took custody of him. They have charged him with felon in possession of multiple stolen firearms. My question is this. If he were to, by some miracle, be cleared of the gun charges, can the government remand him back into state custody to answer to the state’s charges? He was sitting in jail on 550k worth of bonds in the state where he was apprehended. That does not include the warrants that are still active on him in my state. This guy is a career criminal/drug user and has multiple convictions in both categories.

Asked on October 25, 2017 under Criminal Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, each jurisdiction--the federal government, and each state in which he committed offenses--may try him for the crimes committed in it. If acquitted in one, he can be sent to another (e.g. from federal to state) to stand trial. Whether the federal authorities remand him or just "cut him loose" and the state then has to look for him depends upon whether the federal law enforcement and state coordinate their activities, but the state can certainly ask and arrange for a remand.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption